Silk Pillowcases and Silk Duvet add the luxury touch to your bedroom. Sleeping in silk pajamas or silk dress also promotes heath benefits. Natural silk bedding sets and silk sleepwear are very good for your skin and your sleep
But to get the many benefits of silk pillowcases, you need to know how to care for them properly. As a natural material, mulberry silk pillowcases need special care to preserve their beauty, natural breathability, and moisture wicking properties. The good news is that when you wash and dry your silk pillowcases with care, they will last for years.
Read on to learn the best way to wash silk pillowcases to maintain their softness and durability.
TIPS FOR HAND WASHING
- Use a mild detergent, designed for delicate garments or silk where possible. Never use bleach!
- Separate colors to avoid any discoloration
- To help keep the luxurious feel, add a gentle fabric conditioner into the final rinse
- Do not wring the garments as this harms the fibers
- Do not tumble dry
Silk Pillowcases: An Investment in Luxury and Health
Silk pillowcases offer a touch of luxury and elegance unmatched by any other material. When properly cared for, silk pillowcases will outlast any cotton or synthetic fabric pillowcases. Plus, they’ll maintain their exquisite beauty and beneficial properties for a lifetime.
Follow the tips above to give your silk pillowcases the gentle care they deserve. If you have any questions about how to wash silk pillowcases or other silk bedding products, contact Luala Silk
HOW TO WASH SILK DUVET COVER AND SILK PILLOWCASES?
- Turn Luala Silk Duvet Cover or silk pillowcases inside out where possible
- Place your silk bedding in a basin of warm water and a small amount of mild detergent
- Soak for around five minutes
- Gently handle the garment in the water to ensure it has been washed
- Rinse well in warm water
- With the softest squeeze, gently remove some of the water before laying the garment on a towel. Roll the towel around the garment to remove excess water
- Lay your silk duvet cover or silk pillowcases flat in the shade until completely dry
It is better that you hand wash your silk products, how ever, if you don't want to hand wash or the items are too big to handle by hand wash, good news, our silk pillowcases, silk duvet cover, silk sheet sets, silk pajamas and even our silk filled comforter are machine washable
Reminders for Cleaning and Caring for Your Washable Silk
- When it comes to machine washing, use the "Delicate" or "Hand Wash" setting on your washing machine.
- Use cool or cold water to wash silk. A temperature of 30° Celsius/85° Fahrenheit, or lower is recommended.
- Detergents used should be mild. You also can make natural detergent from all ingredients in your pantry.
- Wash silk pillowcases and bedding separately from your other laundry items or use a mesh laundry bag when you machine wash your silk.
- You can machine dry your silk pillowcases using the "Air" setting only. Remove them from the dryer after about 20 minutes and let them dry fully on their own. Remember to use Luala Eco Reusable Balls to avoid static and be energy efficient
- You can iron silk pillowcases, but make sure you use the silk setting on your iron. You can also steam pillowcases to remove wrinkles.
- Clean any spill or stain immediately. Do not allow dirt or liquid to set on your pillowcase as this could lead to permanent damage. Soak the pillowcase in cold water as soon as possible.
When it comes to sustainable lifestyle, it’s more than simply shopping sustainably. Caring for your silk pillowcases or silk face masks properly and storing them correctly extends the life of your investment. You are not having to constantly replace or repair your pieces.
At Luala Silk, we use high quality silk which means our silk is stronger and make caring as easy as possible. If washing guidelines are followed, your silk duvet cover or silk pillowcases will last for years as the silk fibre is extremely strong while also remaining incredibly soft.
MACHINE WASH OR HAND WASH SILK PILLOWCASES?
You can skip the trip to the dry cleaners - your silk pillowcases are happier when washed at home with natural products. Caring for your silk pillowcases requires a gentle touch, whether you choose to machine wash or hand wash your silk.
Hand washing your silk pillowcases can take a little more effort, but it is the preferred way to wash silk. Fill a large tub with cold water and a gentle soap made for silk. Submerge the silk pillowcases and gently agitate them with your hands. Avoid rubbing or scrubbing the silk - let the water, soap, and gentle agitation do the cleaning. Rinse with cold water.
How to wash silk pillowcases in washing machine?
- Never use hot water because high temperatures may cause shrinkage of up to 10% and weaken the linen fiber.
- Make sure items in the washer have enough space so they can rinse properly.
- You can wash silk items with other delicates, but do not mix them with heavy items like towels, denim.
- To avoid crease or wrinkles, wash silk with plenty of space and hang it to dry immediately after the wash.
Instructions for Washable Silk Pillowcases
1. Wash separately from other fabrics. Put them in special laundry bag ( if you have one)
2. Wash in lukewarm water (<40°C/104°F)
3. Use the gentle machine cycle and don’t overload your washing machine
4. Use mild detergent formulated for delicate fabrics. Don't bleach